Connect with us

News

Virginia woman convicted of murdering mom, sister gets new trial after alleged juror misconduct

Published

on


A Virginia woman who was found guilty earlier this year of murdering her mother and sister will receive a new trial after officials discovered a juror had taken “inappropriate actions,” according to a local affiliate report. 

Megan Hargan was convicted in March and sentenced to life behind bars for two counts each of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a murder, Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Steve Descano announced at the time. But just this week, a judge reversed course and granted Hargan a retrial after finding that a juror had acted inappropriately during the original proceedings, FOX 5 D.C. reported. 

According to the report, one of the members of the jury tried to re-enact the alleged crime with their own, unloaded rifle and later recalled the experience to the other jurors.

VIRGINIA WOMAN FOUND GUILTY OF MURDERING MOTHER, SISTER THEN STAGING SCENE

Megan Hargan was originally sentenced to life in prison after staging a murder-suicide in her mother's and sister's deaths. 

Megan Hargan was originally sentenced to life in prison after staging a murder-suicide in her mother’s and sister’s deaths. 
(FCPD)

A spokesperson for Descano’s office, which appears to be closed for the Veterans Day holiday, did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment on Friday. 

In a statement provided to FOX 5, Descano wrote that he was “disappointed that a juror’s inappropriate actions led to this double murder conviction being vacated. 

MISSING CALIFORNIA TEEN TRINITY BACKUS LEFT HOME WITHOUT SHOES, HASN’T BEEN HEARD FROM SINCE, FAMILY SAYS

“We are still committed to getting justice for the victims of this crime,” he said. “My office will move forward and prepare for the new trial.”

Prosecutors argued that Hargan killed her mother, 63-year-old Patricia Hargan, and her 23-year-old sister, Helen Hargan, in 2017 and then staged the scene to look like a murder-suicide. The victims, who lived together, were found to have suffered gunshot wounds to their heads. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Police investigated for 16 months before announcing that Megan Hargan had actually committed the murders. Authorities alleged she had been unhappy with her mother for allegedly buying her sister a home but refusing to give her $400,000, WUSA9.com reported. 

Fox News Digital’s Louis Casiano contributed to this report. 



Source link

News

At least 3 people killed and 11 others injured in Brazil school shootings

Published

on



At least three people were killed and 11 others injured Friday after a gunman opened fire at two schools in the Brazilian state of Espirito Santo, according to local authorities.



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Red flag fire warnings over CA winds canceled as storm system dies down

Published

on


Red flag warnings for fire danger in parts of Southern California were canceled Friday as Santa Ana winds declined, although forecasters noted that dry conditions would continue into the weekend.

Southern California Edison’s website showed no remaining public safety power shutoffs.

CA OFFICIALS WARN OF FIRES, DAMAGING GUSTS AS SANTA ANA WINDS APPROACH

California officials warned of increased wildfire risks due to seasonal Santa Ana winds, though those warnings were retracted Friday.

California officials warned of increased wildfire risks due to seasonal Santa Ana winds, though those warnings were retracted Friday.
(Fox News)

Electricity for thousands of customers in Riverside and Ventura counties was cut on Thanksgiving Day to prevent wildfires caused by wind damage to power lines and electrical infrastructure.

SANTA ANA WINDS: WHAT ARE THEY?

No major fires were reported during the latest Santa Ana wind event.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The most extreme gusts reached 99 miles per hour in mountains north of Los Angeles, and 88 miles per hour on a San Diego County peak, the National Weather Service said.



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Ex-soldier found guilty of Troubles shooting

Published

on



David Holden, a former member of the Grenadier Guards, was 18 at the time of the killing in 1988.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending