Casey Anthony returned to the spotlight earlier this week when Peacock released a teaser for an upcoming docuseries about the Florida woman.
Over a decade ago, Anthony was accused of killing her two-year-old daughter, Caylee, in Florida in 2008. She sat for an on-camera interview for the first time since a jury in 2011 found her not guilty of murder for her daughter’s unsolved death.
The three-part docuseries, “Casey Anthony: Where The Truth Lies,” is expected to air on Peacock on Nov. 29, according to a teaser released Tuesday.
Caylee’s grandmother reported her missing on July 15, 2008, weeks after she was said to have been last seen on June 16. Anthony said her daughter was with a babysitter when they disappeared.
Anthony was initially arrested for child neglect, but was later charged with more serious counts, including first-degree murder, after Caylee’s remains were discovered on Dec. 11.
After months of speculation and commentary surrounding the case, and a trial that lasted over a month, a jury deliberated for 11 hours before finding Anthony not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter and aggravated child abuse. She was convicted of lying to law enforcement.
“She put us through hell.”
Anthony’s defense attorney, Jose Baez, argued that Caylee accidentally drowned and her death was then covered up. Prosecutors argued that Anthony suffocated the girl using chloroform and then covered the toddler’s mouth with duct tape.
Caylee’s disappearance and death, and the criminal investigation and trial that followed, gripped the nation for years and captured headlines for days at a time.
Nearly 14 years later, the devastating mystery of what happened to Caylee remains engrained in the minds of many.
Anthony, now 36, was shown with long, brown hair, blush pink lipstick and sharp eyebrows in the clip for the upcoming docuseries. The 38-second video shows Anthony fixing her hair, looking into the camera and pursing her lips as the interview begins.
“In 2011, Casey Anthony was accused of murdering her daughter,” a message states in front of a black backdrop. “She was found not guilty.”
The screen then returns to show Anthony’s straight face.
“Why talk to me now when you’re not getting creative control?” someone can be heard asking in the background. The screen goes black.
The upcoming series is not the first time Anthony has spoken to the media about her life and her case, but it is one of the first times she appeared on camera since the trial wrapped.
Anthony admitted to The Associated Press in 2017 that she did lie about Caylee being with a sitter, about speaking with Caylee over the phone one day before the girl disappeared, about working for Universal Studios and about telling people that her daughter was missing.
During an extensive interview with the AP in 2017, she said she was working in West Palm Beach with her trial defense team’s head private investigator, Patrick McKenna, and was involved in investigations and conducted Internet searches for McKenna’s firm.
She told the AP she passed the time with hobbies that included photography and reading.
In 2020, Florida Division of Corporations records showed Anthony had submitted paperwork to open her own private investigation business, Case Research & Consulting Services, at the beginning of January 2021, according to the AP.
She said she would occasionally go to bars with friends, but would leave when she was recognized, which happened often, the outlet reported.
“I don’t give a s— about what anyone thinks about me,” she told the news site. “I’m OK with myself, I sleep pretty good at night.”
CASEY’S PARENTS: GEORGE AND CINDY ANTHONY
George and Cindy Anthony were engrained in Casey Anthony’s trial in more ways than one. Cindy Anthony notified police in July 2008 that she had not seen her granddaughter in a month and gave emotional testimony during her daughter’s trial.
“Caylee’s missing,” she could be heard telling a 911 dispatcher in audio that was played during trial, according to Reuters. “It smells like there’s been a dead body in the damn car.”
Defense attorneys accused George Anthony, who also testified at trial, of molesting Casey when she was younger. George denied ever doing so.
After the trial, George Anthony told Phil “Dr. Phil” McGraw in 2011 that his daughter would not be welcome in his home while he was there.
McGraw described how he felt George handled “the facts and reality in a very forthcoming way,” while Cindy was “in a huge state of denial.”
In 2018, George and Cindy were featured in an A&E TV special, “Casey Anthony’s Parents Speak.”
Just this year, Cindy Anthony spoke with Investigation Discovery’s “Crime Scene Confidential” about her daughter’s lawyers’ claims that Caylee drowned.
“Why the heck didn’t she tell us? Why didn’t she call somebody?” she said during the interview, according to People. “None of this would’ve happened. And it’s like, oh my gosh, she put us through hell. I know if I had found Caylee drowned in the pool, I would’ve been devastated and blamed myself for the rest of my life.”
Michael Avenatti sentenced to 14 years in prison for cheating clients out of millions
Michael Avenatti was sentenced to 14 years in prison on Monday for cheating four former clients out of millions of dollars and trying to obstruct the IRS from collecting payroll taxes from a coffee shop that he owned.
It caps off a stunning fall from grace for the former attorney, who is already serving five years in prison for stealing book proceeds from porn actress Stormy Daniels and trying to extort Nike out of $25 million.
The 14-year sentence handed down on Monday will run consecutively to the five years that he is already serving in previous cases, U.S. District Judge James V. Selna ruled.
Avenatti, who addressed his victims in court on Monday, was also ordered to pay $7 million in restitution.
“I am deeply remorseful and contrite,” Avenatti said in court before the sentencing. “There is no doubt that all of them deserve much better, and I hope that someday they will accept my apologies and find it in their heart to forgive me.”
Prosecutors laid out in a 36-count indictment how Avenatti collected a $4 million settlement from Los Angeles County for a man who was paralyzed from injuries he sustained while in custody of law enforcement. Avenatti used the funds for his coffee business and personal expenses, paying the man “advances” of no more than $1,900 at a time.
Avenatti obtained a $3 million settlement for another client in early 2017 and used most of the money for a private jet, then lied to the client by saying the settlement would be paid out in monthly payments over several years.
Prosecutors also said that Avenatti stole from clients whom he represented in an intellectual property claim and another business dispute.
For the tax fraud charge, Avenatti failed to pay more than $3 million in payroll taxes related to his coffee business then tried to stop the IRS from collecting the unpaid taxes.
Prosecutor Brett Sagel characterized Avenatti as a serial fraudster.
“He didn’t turn to his criminal actions by desperation, by need, by the inability to do anything else,” Sagel told the court. “Despite the significant advantages that this defendant had — a first-rate education, a thriving legal career — he chose to commit the deplorable acts in this case time and time again.”
Prosecutors agreed to drop remaining charges after Avenatti pleaded guilty to five counts earlier this year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
World Cup 2022: Fifa opens disciplinary proceedings against Uruguay FA and four players
|Host nation: Qatar Dates: 20 November-18 December Coverage: Live on BBC TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru, BBC Sounds and the BBC Sport website and app. Day-by-day TV listings – Full coverage details|
Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Uruguay’s football association and four players over their conduct at the end of their final World Cup group game against Ghana.
Uruguay beat Ghana 2-0 but went out on goals scored, finishing third behind South Korea in Group H.
Uruguay’s players reacted furiously at full-time, confronting the referee and appearing to manhandle an assistant after they failed to award a penalty after a coming together between Darwin Nunez and Alidu Seidu.
Jose Maria Gimenez, Edinson Cavani, Fernando Muslera and Diego Godin all face potential punishments for breaches of Fifa’s disciplinary code relating to offensive behaviour and misconduct.
More to follow.
Get your daily dose of Fifa World Cup reaction, debate & analysis with World Cup Daily on BBC Sounds
Sports8 months ago
William Saliba hints at Marseille stay ahead of ‘discussions’ with Arsenal
Sports8 months ago
Kansas City Chiefs still have a shot a being a dynasty
Entertainment8 months ago
Wendy Williams Shares Glam Photo Amid Absence From Show
Sports8 months ago
Rudiger rues Chelsea mistakes as holders denied epic comeback by Real Madrid
Entertainment8 months ago
22 Celebs Who’ve Talked About Growing Up Poor
Sports8 months ago
British Cycling suspends transgender policy amid Emily Bridges controversy
Business8 months ago
What AT&T Is Giving Investors in WarnerMedia Spinoff and How It Will Work
Tech10 months ago
Hands are used as secure passwords in a new contactless biometric system.