Hibernian have sacked manager Shaun Maloney after just four months in charge of the Scottish Premiership club.
The 39-year-old’s departure comes after they failed to secure a top-six finish in the Scottish Premiership and exited the Scottish Cup to Edinburgh rivals Hearts.
In a statement, executive chairman Ronald J Gordon said: “Our hope in appointing Shaun Maloney as a young, highly regarded coach was that he would help us take the club forward, but ultimately that has not been the case.
“We thank Shaun and his coaching staff for all their hard work and efforts and wish them all the best for the future.”
The former Celtic and Scotland midfielder left his post as Belgium assistant manager to succeed Jack Ross in December and won his first two matches in charge against Aberdeen and Dundee United.
But Hibs have only won one Scottish Premiership game in 2022 and a 3-1 league defeat against Hearts the week before the semi-final consigned them to a bottom-six finish.
Maloney has been without a full team of players at times through illness, injury and suspension and the club sold Australia winger Martin Boyle late in the transfer window.
Maloney claimed on Saturday at Hampden that he knew “exactly” what was needed for his side to be able to compete with Hearts next season.
“I have known for quite a while the areas where we need to be better to give us an opportunity to fight for top six, top four, Europe. I have known that from very early on,” he said after his 10 men suffered a 2-1 defeat.
“I have worked extremely hard with the players we have, young players, but we all have to make sure that come the summer, come pre-season, we are a lot stronger in certain areas, so that when we have performances like this, we take advantage.
“The money we have, we have to spend it wisely this summer, and we have to be a lot, lot different at the start of next season.”
Maloney will not get the chance to implement his plans with backroom staff Gary Caldwell, Valerio Zuddas and Brian Doogan also leaving with immediate effect.
Former skipper David Gray will take caretaker charge for the remainder of the season with support from Eddie May and Jon Busch.
No mention of Flores’ lawsuit in Goodell Super Bowl presser
Every year at the Super Bowl, journalists get a chance to ask NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the questions that need to be answered on live television as the world watches. This year, the inquiries and subject matters ranged from two Black quarterbacks making history, Damar Hamlin, officiating, and the potential ways that the league will broadcast upcoming games. But, the Black cloud — no pun intended — that’s been hovering over the NFL for over a year wasn’t mentioned once on Wednesday. And it’s proof that the NFL is loving the fact that people seem to have forgotten that Brian Flores, Steve Wilks, and Ray Horton have an ongoing class-action lawsuit against the league for its alleged racist hiring practices.
Distractions are part of the game
It’s been over a year since the former Miami Dolphins head coach — and current defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings — dropped a bomb on the sports world when he decided that legal action was the only way to make people thoroughly understand just how rigged the game is for Black coaches in the NFL.
“It’s hard to speak out…but this is bigger than football. This is bigger than coaching,” said Flores.
Days later, Goodell was on stage answering questions at the Super Bowl about that, and more.
“I think I’d start with the basis that racism or any form of discrimination is against our values. And really something that we will not tolerate,” he said at last year’s press conference.
Same as it ever was
On Wednesday, it was more of the same. “I do, but I still feel like there’s better work, and more work ahead of us,” Goodell said about the “meaningful progress” that’s taken place with diversity amongst head coaches. “I think that there is progress, and we’re pleased to see progress. But it’s never enough.”
A lot has happened since Goodell took the stage last year in Los Angeles and when he returned to it in Arizona. For instance, Steve Wilks and Ray Horton joined Flores’ lawsuit. Flores spent last season as an assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and he’s now with the Vikings — as an assistant, again. Wilks was the interim head coach of the Carolina Panthers, but due to the history of the men who carry that title with his skin color, he never had a chance of permanently landing the job — no matter if Panthers owner David Tepper is claiming to be trying to eradicate the league’s “old boys network.” Horton is coaching in the USFL. And you can still count the number of African-American head coaches in the league on one hand and have some fingers left to spare, as Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh), DeMeco Ryans (Houston), and Todd Bowles (Tampa Bay) are the melanated trinity.
I thought Goodell said progress was taking place. Does it look like it to you? Maybe my eyesight is bad.
Last fall, the plaintiffs’ lawyers were alleging racial bias against the NFL as the league wanted things to move to arbitration — where nobody can see. In court documents, the lawyers wrote that “arbitration would allow ‘unconscionably biased one-sided ‘kangaroo courts’ to determine the outcome. If arbitration is where things land, it means that Goodell will be the arbitrator — which is in the best interest of the teams that are being sued, and the league. The latest development occurred last week when it was reported that the judge presiding over the case has requested that more written briefings about arbitration be submitted later in the month.
What does that mean?
That this thing is still in limbo, as we’re waiting to see if this will play out in court or behind closed doors.
But, even if this arbitration decision does go the way of Brian Flores, Steve Wilks, and Ray Horton, we have no idea when the dust will finally settle — which is a win for the league. Because while the league might wind up losing this case, they have a winning strategy. Which is to ignore it, as everyone else did on a Wednesday afternoon in Glendale, Arizona.
Man United 2-2 Leeds LIVE! Sancho goal – Premier League result, match stream and latest updates today
ubstitute Jadon Sancho’s first goal since September earned Manchester United a thrilling 2-2 draw with Leeds United in the Premier League on Wednesday as the hosts came back from two goals down to salvage a point.
Leeds flew out of the traps and stunned Old Trafford into silence after 55 seconds when Wilfried Gnonto arrowed the visitors in front from the edge of the penalty area.
The home side wasted a host of chances to level in the first half, before Leeds looked to have stormed into a match-winning position early in the second period as Raphael Varane put through his own net to double the visitors’ advantage.
However, in-form Marcus Rashford headed the hosts back into the match in the 62nd minute and Sancho stepped off the bench to rescue his side a point eight minutes later, squeezing the ball past goalkeeper Illan Meslier.
Old Trafford sensed another rousing comeback would be completed with a late winner, but their side ran out of steam, failing to win at home for the first time in 14 matches in all competitions.
United stayed third in the standings, three points ahead of Newcastle United in fourth, having played one game more.
Managerless Leeds climbed one place to 16th, one point clear of the relegation zone.
United had beaten their Roses rivals Leeds by a scoreline of 11-3 in their previous two clashes at Old Trafford, and the visitors were on a seven-game Premier League winless streak which led to manager Jesse Marsch being sacked this week.
Their form made it all the more surprising when Leeds raced into an early lead, Gnonto netting the second-earliest goal scored by an away player at Old Trafford in the Premier League, after Edin Dzeko’s strike in 2014 for Manchester City.
After De Gea denied Leeds a second with a smart stop at his near post, United twice went close to levelling as debutant Marcel Sabitzer volleyed over before Garnacho drilled just wide.
The chances kept coming for the home side, with Garnacho rounding Meslier before seeing an effort blocked and Sabitzer denied by a brilliant save.
The hosts’ profligacy looked to have proved costly as Leeds appeared to be on course to secure a first win in 18 trips to Old Trafford after Varane was powerless to prevent Crysencio Summerville’s cross rolling into his own net.
Rashford, however, had another ideas, steering a header home to become the first Manchester United player to score in six consecutive appearances at Old Trafford in the Premier League since Wayne Rooney in 2012.
Brenden Aaronson hit the post from a Leeds free kick, a let- off Manchester United capitalised on as Sancho, back in the squad after a lengthy absence due to physical and mental wellbeing issues, grabbed the equaliser with a calm finish.
Thank you for joining Standard Sport’s LIVE coverage of Manchester United’s draw with Leeds.
Find our report and reaction below.
Ten Hag sends exciting Sancho message after key Man United goal
Erik ten Hag hailed the “magnificent” Jadon Sancho after the Manchester United forward scored his first goal since September in Wednesday’s thrilling draw with Leeds.
The England international only recently made his return to the United set-up after training on his own following what ten Hag said to be “physical and mental issues”.
Sancho’s strike won a point for the home side after Marcus Rashford had first pulled one back following Leeds’ quick-fire start in both halves.
Full match report: Sancho steps up to save Man United but worrying signs without Casemiro
Jadon Sancho’s first goal since September rescued a point for Manchester United in a thrilling draw with rivals Leeds.
Wilfried Gnonto had put the visitors ahead in less than a minute, catching a United side missing the midfield control of Casemiro and Christian Eriksen cold.
FT: Man United 2-2 Leeds
A thrilling draw at Old Trafford.
Just a reminder, these two teams play again on Sunday!
FIVE MINUTES ADDED ON!
90 mins: Are we in for a winner?
All Man United now
83 mins: Dangerous game for Leeds.
CHANCE FOR MAN UNITED!
79 mins: Varane heads over the bar!
73 mins: Both teams still going for it! Surely there’s going to be a winner.
GOAL! Man United 2-2 Leeds | Jadon Sancho ‘69
69 mins: MAN UNITED LEVEL!
Sancho squeezes one in from close range!
Martin Bakole will look to enforce shot at Daniel Dubois | ‘He’s possibly the most avoided heavyweight out there’ | Boxing News
Martin Bakole will look to force a shot at Daniel Dubois and the WBA ‘regular’ title that the London heavyweight holds.
Bakole’s last outing was an impressive, conclusive win over French Olympic champion Tony Yoka from the away corner.
Born in Congo and now based in Scotland, Bakole has only lost once in his 19-bout professional career.
He is now rated at number two in the WBA’s heavyweight world rankings and has signed to join new promoter BOXXER.
BOXXER’s Ben Shalom told Sky Sports that Bakole intends to enforce a shot at Dubois.
“I think they’re about to order a mandatory for Daniel, Martin wants that title. Martin is top of the tree in the WBA now,” Shalom said.
“With his win against Tony Yoka, he was so impressive to go out and do that in Paris against a former Olympic champion. On the circuit he’s possibly the most avoided heavyweight out there. Delighted to have him. I think he could challenge for world titles very soon.”
Oleksandr Usyk is the WBA’s full world champion, but Dubois holds a secondary or ‘regular’ belt with that sanctioning body.
The Londoner is recovering from an injury he sustained in his last fight, a scare against Kevin Lerena. That though is the fight Bakole is gunning for.
“Martin backs himself in any fight in the heavyweight division. Daniel Dubois is on his list and Billy Nelson [Bakole’s trainer] has been talking about him for a long time and they’re ready to go,” Shalom said.
“It’s definitely that title that we have our eyes on. Obviously Daniel’s injured at the moment. But luckily with Martin he will fight anyone. They could pick any name for him to fight for that title and he would take it.
“So we’ve got a very, very good heavyweight that’s willing to fight anyone. That’s a perfect mix.”
Sports11 months ago
Kansas City Chiefs still have a shot a being a dynasty
Sports10 months ago
William Saliba hints at Marseille stay ahead of ‘discussions’ with Arsenal
Tech12 months ago
Hands are used as secure passwords in a new contactless biometric system.
Business11 months ago
What AT&T Is Giving Investors in WarnerMedia Spinoff and How It Will Work
Entertainment10 months ago
Wendy Williams Shares Glam Photo Amid Absence From Show
Entertainment11 months ago
22 Celebs Who’ve Talked About Growing Up Poor
Sports10 months ago
Rudiger rues Chelsea mistakes as holders denied epic comeback by Real Madrid
Sports10 months ago
British Cycling suspends transgender policy amid Emily Bridges controversy